We're hiring a postdoc to develop a next-generation nanocrystal synthesis robot and to use this robot to synthesize complex semiconductor and doped nanostructures. Please email Emory with your CV and cover letter if you are interested in the job described below:
The Molecular Foundry at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) offers a unique opportunity for a postdoctoral fellow in the field of chemistry or materials science. The postdoc will carry out multidisciplinary research using combinatorial techniques to synthesize colloidal nanoparticles and their hererostructures. This position requires a unique ability to synthesize nanomaterials a develop new capabilities for a recently installed, high-throughput synthesis robot.
• Design and synthesize complex inorganic nanoparticle heterostructures and/or lanthanide-doped, upconverting nanoparticles using air-free wet chemistry techniques and high throughput synthesis robots.
• Program robust workflows for a recently installed high-throughput synthesis robot. Interface with the subcontractor ensure that the robot meets fabrication milestones and acceptance criteria.• Collaborate with a broad array of users, postdoctoral fellows, and students and help them conceive, plan, and execute experiments on the synthesis robots.
• Characterize materials using techniques including XRD, TEM, SEM, and optical spectroscopy.
• Recent Ph. D. in Chemistry or Materials Science
• Expertise in any field of chemical synthesis (inorganic, organic, organometallic, polymer, materials)
• Experience characterizing the physical properties of materials using techniques such as TEM, SEM, XRD, and optical spectroscopy/microscopy
• Proficiency in a high-level programming language, e.g., LabVIEW, MATLAB, Python, Java
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills• The ability to work successfully with a diverse group of users, scientists, students
• Willingness to contribute to the shared goals of a diverse user facility
• Record of publication in high impact journals
• Ability to independently meet research goals, solve problems, and develop scientific ideas
Preferred:• Expertise in the air-free synthesis of colloidal nanoparticles, particularly semiconductor or lanthanide-doped nanoparticles
• Expertise in combinatorial or high-throughput chemistry
• Expertise in robotics, mechanical engineering, or electrical engineering
• Familiarity with developing physical models or programming simulations